Monday, April 13, 2020

QUARATINE SQUASH - CHALLENGE 1


As the lockdown extends, the restrictions are getting tighter. But that doesn’t mean we cannot keep busy. You may have seen these skills challenges on the internet already, but we thought we would actually throw it out to our members and see just how difficult they really are. The first one is conceptually simple: Tap the ball on the edge (frame) of your racquet as often as possible without letting the ball bounce. 

I can do this off the strings in my sleep. I had never tried to do it off the frame and although I knew it would be a lot harder, I wasn’t prepared for the frustration coming my way. Before filming the clip below to demonstrate the challenge, I practiced for a solid 45 minutes. The most I could manage was 10. I felt so horribly inept. I had never in my life whiffed the ball so often as I did in that time span. If I made it look difficult - it’s because it is. So prepare yourselves for an exasperating time. I did improve that number during the filming, but it took a lot of takes!

You will also see Stu’s effort to conquer the challenge… he also struggled with this so I don’t feel so bad in the end! Both of us reached a high score of 15… Better than what I expected especially after the rather discouraging start earlier in the day. 

To put this in perspective, Miguel Rodriguez - top 10 player in the world - got 38. Remarkable.

Your mission - if you are willing to accept - is to see how many times you can hit the ball on the frame of your racquet. It will test you. It may vex you. It will endanger house hold objects if you aren’t careful (so maybe do it either outside or in your basement like I did). Film your quest and send them to me. I will post the winner’s effort. Good luck. The future of squash is counting on your success… well, not really. But have fun!

Search This Blog