Thursday, January 6, 2022

IF YOU HAVEN’T HEARD, THE LEAGUE STARTED

Boasters League round 1~~

Don’t you love this time of year? The Holidays are over, the weather is nasty cold, the sun sets in the middle of the afternoon if we see it all, I’m sure my driveway gets longer every snowfall when I have to shovel it, and the Lions surprise me every week since I can’t honestly believe they can get any worse but they continually prove me wrong. Oh, and if you haven’t heard, the second half of the Boasters League started yesterday.

Probably one of the quietest league nights I have experienced in recent memory. When the highest scoring team for the week only picks up 16 points, that’s not something to brag about. In fact, between the 8 teams that were scheduled to play, a total of 56 bonus points were collected compared to a total of 39 points scored on the court! I’m sure that catering was shocked to see the keg was still half full by the end of the night!

Winky-Dinks are the ‘winners’ of week 1, atop the standings by one solitary point over Cadieux Café. I wouldn’t read anything into that considering how few matches were completed, but I guess the optics would be a mental boost. Much rather be first, right?

On my walkabouts upstairs last night, I did see the last few hits of the Matt Thatcher (Mongoose) v Paul Palinski (Nicker Ballers) encounter. Paul looked like he’d just came off a Stu Hadden interval track session, sunken red eye-sockets a clear indication of oxygen deprivation… or a hangover… or he was auditioning for the role of Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars movies… or he’d been crying… Matt’s 2-1 victory may have indicated the latter of the options, but I’m assured it was the excessive running. Matt’s sly little smile also indicated he enjoyed every moment of Paul’s discomfort.

I’m not going to mention, however, bumping into Renée Fershée (Mongoose) as she was making her way to the… (cough, cough… rubs temples…) Pickleball court. Nor am I going to mention seeing Chris Moyer (Over Served) in the middle of his Pickleball match at the time. Because mentioning it may make someone uncomfortable. At least Chris also played his boasters match, so he does redeem himself a little.

Things are bound to pick up – but it will be very important for players to start arranging matches now and not let them pile up. Before you know, we’ll be 5 weeks in, and you’ll have a month left to play 8 opponents.

Search This Blog