Not many surprises here. Well, maybe one – the fact that the final round was very quiet considering everybody should have been scrambling to play as many matches as possible before the deadline. The standings only had one change over the final week which was “Vivio’s” swapping places with “1st Place Lounge” to take the 3rd spot - which wasn’t unexpected since “1st Place Lounge” had the last round bye.
The one team that will be kicking themselves is the “O’Blivions” who missed out on the final play-off position by one point. Tracking the scores over the last couple of days, they actually held 6th spot up until the final moments before the cutoff, but a late score entered by “The Tap Bar” burst that bubble.
“Town Pump” and “Old Shillelagh” secure the first round bye in the finals, something they really did a few rounds ago as all they did from week to week was to increase their lead. Play over the second half of the Boasters League season felt down from previous seasons, even though overall court usage is well up; statistics support that observation…
- Only 62% of the matches were played compared to 71% in the first half. A significant decrease.
- Rounds 1, 2 and 5 had the most matches played with 73%.
- Hardly shocking, but the top 3 teams on the standings received the most bonus points. “Town Pump” had the most with 62.
- Every team had at least one player who played all 8 of their matches. “1st Place Lounge” had four. Overall there were 17 – none of them went through undefeated.
- No one played all 12 matches in any round.
- The 187 points scored by “Town Pump” is the most ever in a Boasters League half season.
- The most points any team picked up in one round was 31 by “Old Shillelagh”.
- The most points “Jacoby’s” picked in any round was 13.
On top of the best team overall, there is also the individual prize of the “All Star” team. This is calculated from the highest point getters from each level – including bonus points – for the all round consistent performer. Each player listed will receive an special “All Star” shirt. Here are your stand-outs:
- George Kordas - “Vivio’s”
- Paul Ward – “Anchor”