Wednesday, June 6, 2012

THE HASHIM FILES - PART 2

That's Hashim on the right.
I don't know who the fellow on the left is.
Picking up where we left off, Hashim continues with his summary of his life to date. (That date being 27 years ago!) For those who are wondering, Hashim is still alive and kicking, albeit at 96 years old I doubt he graces the court very often.

Detroit is mentioned in these pages and I’m sure some of our long-term members remember the days when Hashim ruled the Motor City. He now resides in Denver, where I briefly met him back in 1996 (I think) during a PSA tournament at the Denver Athletic Club. Hashim was 80 years old and was playing a hardball doubles event with a partner older than he was. It was my first ever exposure to hardball doubles – I found it somewhat bemusing (the game, not Hashim!). From what I remember, even though he couldn't cover the court very quickly, he appeared to have extra sensory perception and it was as if he knew exactly where the next ball was going to be played. Uncanny anticipation. And a clean hitter. I don’t know if he won or not, but after watching for the ten minutes or so that I did, I can't imagaine he lost.






To see all the blog articles on Hashim, go to: Hashim Khan  

Search This Blog