Monday, March 4, 2013

A FEW GOOD MEN NEEDED FOR WINDSOR

Members, we live in a world that has four walls and those four walls need to be played on by men and women with squash racquets. Who's gonna do it? You? You, DAC member? You all have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You crave for squash matches and pray for the tournaments; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that when losing a squash match, while tragic, probably improves your overall game and that my existence, while overwhelming and incomprehensible to you, improves your game. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at squash clubs, you want me on that ‘T’, you need me on that ‘T’. We use words like ‘racquet up’, ‘watch the ball’, ‘hit good length’. We use them as the backbone of a squash tactic trying to defend something. You should be using them as a game plan. I always have the time and the inclination to explain the sport to any person who rises and sleeps under the guidance of squash that I provide and then practices the manner in which I provide it. I am honored when you just say "thank you," and continue practicing on your way. So, I suggest that you pick up a racquet and stand on court. Either way, I absolutely care that you support the Windsor Squash Club’s tournament.

Can we count on you? Ready to enlist? Here’s the package: $65 entry fee (plus tax). You can enter up to 2 divisions and choose between: Open, A, B, C, D, Ladies A + B, 40+, 50+, Junior, and Doubles A, B and Mixed. They will also provide food and beer, and I will presume a t-shirt although the entry form doesn’t actually specify you’ll get one so don’t take my word on that. For the Doubles, they are implementing a rule that there will be no tie-breaks. When the score reaches 14-all, a sudden death rally must be played. Makes it more exciting and I am also going to presume they are doing it for time reasons, but I’m not sure I like the idea too much.

Windsor had 32 players enter in the DAC Classic. I don’t expect us to match that number, but we should be making our presence felt. Now, for some reason I cannot attach their poster to the blog, so to enter please contact Graeme Williams on 519-966-2141 or squash@windsorsquash.ca . Payment must accompany registration. Don’t make me order a “code red”!

Search This Blog