Monday, February 21, 2011

MEET A MEMBER - 4

Always smiling, always happy to see you. If you need someone to brighten up your day, then this fine young fellow can do just that. He is relatively new to the game of squash but don’t underestimate his competitiveness… even if it comes with few jokes and laughs.

MEET… BRIAN ROSMAN

The Squash Joint (TSJ): “It’s obvious that you enjoy playing squash. Did you think that this sport would be so addicting for you?”

Not really. I originally got into squash because I hated the treadmill, and I wanted something more interactive, but never thought I would get so into it that I would join a league. I have since come to really enjoy squash, and just about every that I know from the club I met through squash. I credit a lot of my enjoyment and improvement in my physical abilities to learning how to play squash.

TSJ: “Do you have any goals you would like to reach with your squash?”

Well, aside from losing less, I would really like to be able to master getting the ball out of tight spots. I really admire the people that I see on the court that just seem to ‘mosey’ on over to wherever the ball is, without seeming to hurry at all, and then hit a rocket of a shot from the corner. I want to be able to have longer rallies.

TSJ: “You are studying to be a doctor. Tell us about which field you are specializing in and why did you choose that particular one?”

I would like to end up as a Urologist, for a variety of reasons. It’s a fantastic surgical specialty, with really cool toys (robots and lasers, just to name a few), that makes a measurably positive impact on patient’s quality of life, not just how long they live. Plus you have to have a sense of humor to do the job!

TSJ: “The time commitment to be a doctor must be extraordinary. Have you found it difficult to juggle it with your personal life?”

Good lord, yes.


TSJ: “I also happen to know you a Trekkie. Tell me, Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, or Captain Janeway? And why?”

Picard, because Kirk doesn’t have the awesome accent, and Janeway just annoys me.


TSJ: “What is your all time favorite comedy movie and who is your all time favorite comedian?”

That’s a tough one. Probably “Spaceballs” or “Robin Hood, Men in Tights”. My all time favorite comedian is far and away George Carlin. Lewis Black has some game, but Mr. Carlin wins by a landslide.

TSJ: “Apart from squash and your Star Trek dolls, what else do you like to do in your spare time?”

Well, I don’t have a lot of spare time, but I like to drive around with the top down when the weather is nice, I like to cook and barbeque (and eat), and biking and golfing. That pretty much relegates me to squash, eating, and television during the winter, unfortunately.

TSJ: “What is your favorite shot in squash to hit?”

Rails. They are always unexpected.

TSJ: “What is your motto in life?”

“It doesn’t matter how bad it is, it can always get worse.” That motto helps me keep perspective!

TSJ: “I give you $2000 cash. I drop you off at the Mall. Which store do you go to first and what do you buy?”

Probably a jewelry store to buy a fine watch. I like functional art, and watches have always appealed to me.

TSJ: “What is the strangest thing you have ever eaten?”

Chocolate covered crickets. That or Fois Gras and poprocks on a crostini (it was the craziest appetizer I have ever eaten!)

TSJ: “As usual, this last question is the one that is of great consequence and could change the way people look at you from now on: If you had to change your name, what would you change it to?”

I would change it to a symbol, like an octothorp (#).


Thank you very much, Brian. Here he is pictured with his lovely wife, Leise. As part of the Boasters League and Box Ladders, he has improved considerably since he first picked up a racquet about 1 year ago. Be sure to say “hi!” when you see him and be ready to smile. I’m sure he’ll even talk about Klingons and Vulcans if you let him… live long and prosper!

Search This Blog