Wednesday, October 12, 2011

THE INCREDI-BALLS - TAKE 2

This is more insensi-ball than incredi-ball, but this video (kindly forwarded to me by Jason Close) will make you wince. I fail to understand the point of it, but the next time someone hits you with a squash ball, be thankful it wasn’t from this guy.

If you have ever been hit by the squash ball off a full blooded swing, then you know the pain. The worst drilling I ever received was when I was a junior (decades ago!) and copped a backhand to the thigh that actually cut the skin. My opponent was barely 3 feet behind me and didn’t hold back. I remember it like it was yesterday, I thought he had broken my leg.

However, that pales in comparison to this. Australian Cameron Pilley, world number 16, recently broke the world record of the hardest hit squash ball which was held by John White at 172 mph. Pilley was clocked at 175mph. Now, I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to be hit by anything travelling at that speed, not even a nerf ball, let alone a squash ball.

Enter Pilley’s brother, Morgan.

Morgan volunteered to let Cameron hit the ball as hard as he could directly into the middle of his bare back from about 10 feet away. Errrr, what? Maybe Morgan is auditioning to be the new cast member for “Jackass”, or has suicidal tendencies, or simply wants a cheaper and easier way to get a tattoo, either way, it hurt me just watching it and I think my thigh bruised up as I cringed.

If you get a little queasy watching “Jackass”, then you may want to avoid clicking on the below link:

The lack of common sense here is palpable and obviously the question of “why would you do that?” comes to mind, but I would also be directing it at Cameron.

Search This Blog